Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Older

I hope the world doesn't think you have to be an active Christian to think the music scene has become just too much. I'm spiritual and I believe in God but I don't attend church (although I am contemplating starting). I didn't even watch the Grammys but I have heard enough to realize it's probably better I did not. The older I get and the more daughters I raise the less I like what I see. It is a big part of why I want to homeschool Autumn. Lately she comes home and doesn't talk about what she learns but about who said what, who she is fighting with, who she gets along with, who is wearing what, and the music she hears on the radio. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music and I realize I can't shelter her from the world. But I want to teach her different values. Values that include kindness, respect, an appreciation for learning, and the value of the truth amongst others. Lately, I feel those things slipping away some. Part of it is likely growing up, part of it is I don't always have enough time for her, and part of it is that she goes to school in a world that does not necessarily value those same things. We've always had such high hopes and dreams for Autumn and I get so scared that she's going to walk the difficult path as well. It was so hard with Julia. I still love Julia but man I don't want to have to go through that again. Every day that passes I am more and more sure that homeschooling Autumn is the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment